Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Pointe shoe sizing: It’s complicated…


One reason to get a professional fitting before starting pointe or changing to a new brand of shoe is that sizing is extremely complex and wildly inconsistent between brands (and even between models in the same brand).  You CANNOT look at pointe shoes online, choose your usual street shoes size or the size you wear in another kind of pointe shoe, purchase a pair, and expect them to fit.  The size guides that brands offer are usually not entirely accurate.  There is no way to know if the recommended size is supposed to include a toe pad, apply to a wide foot, include a full pinch at the heel, etc. 

Here is an overview of the sizing of many brands and models of shoes that I know and have tried on.  My foot is very small and narrow (ladies’ US size 5.5/UK size 3, usually N or XX width).  Sizing will be based on US sizing unless otherwise stated.  Always get a professional fitting before trying a new pointe shoe.  This post is meant to help dancers and parents understand the huge variety of sizing “rules” across brands, not explicitly recommend sizes to purchase.

Grishko shoes based on the 2007 last (excluding the Maya and Triumph): go down 1.5 sizes (In the Grishko 2007, Nova, Miracle, and DreamPointe, I wear a 4 XX.)

Grishko shoes based on the Elite and Fouette lasts (plus the Maya and Triumph): go down 3 sizes

Russian Pointe Almaz, Rubin, and Sapfir: convert to European size by adding 30.5 to US size and round up to the next whole number except for 34.5 and 37.5 (In the Russian Pointe Sapfir and Almaz, I wear a 36 w2 v2.)

Russian Pointe Entrada: convert to European size by adding 30.5 to US size, then add one, and round up to the next whole number except for 34.5 and 37.5

Bloch:  For the Seranade and Axiom, convert to UK size by subtracting 2 from US size.  Subtract additional .5 or 1 for very narrow feet. (In the Bloch Seranade and Axiom, I wear a 2.5B.)  For the European Balance, Eurostretch, and Alpha, convert to UK sizing by subtracting 2.  Add back 0.5 for wide feet. (In the Bloch Alpha, I wear a 3.5 X)

Freed: convert to UK size by subtracting 2 from US size.  Subtract additional .5 for very narrow feet. (In the Freed Studio II, I wear a 3 D.)

Capezio: For all models except the Airess, add 1 to US street size.  (In the Tiffany Pro, I wear a 6.5 N.)  For the Airess, add 1.5 to US street size.  (In the Airess, I wear a 7 N tapered.)

Sansha: For the Debutante: women’s sizes 7 and larger, add 1 to 2 to US street size.  For women’s sizes 5 and 6, street size.  For children’s sizes up to 4, up 2 sizes.  (In the Sansha Debutante, I wear a 5 M.)


Gaynor Minden: US street size to 1.5 sizes up (depends on whether or not you want to wear toe pads). (I wear a 6.5 Narrow 2 box.)

6 comments:

  1. I don't know if you have any advice, but I am currently wearing Russian Pointe Sapfirs size 39 width 3. I am an adult age 45 and am back in pointe shoes for the first time in 25 years. I danced a lot on pointe many years ago as a preprofessional student but quit ballet altogether for many years. At any rate I started back on pointe and ballet last year. My first shoes were Grishko Novas, and while I loved the width, they were incredibly painful in the metatarsals because the vamp was too high/restrictive. I have very high arched feet and wide at the toes but tapered severely towards the heel. The Grishkos were too painful. I moved on to Russian Pointes and it's been like a breath of fresh air, much more manageable. However, there have been a few problems with these. I think the width I went with is too narrow (3) and am thinking of moving up to a 4. However, I am wondering if this will affect the support of the shoe? I LOVE that I do not sink in these shoes, but will a wider shoe change that? My only other complaint is gaping in the sides and heel. I remedied the heel by adding heel liners in the inside of the heel part, but the sides have an awful gap, slightly improved with the way I sew elastics/ribbon but not entirely. I almost wonder if I could go down to a 38 size? I wear a size 7 or 7.5 in street shoe. But my big toe sticks out and hits the end of the box but doesn't bend/squish, so I am worried that a 38 versus 39 might cause too much pressure on my big toe. I love the shank (FM) and vamp length (2) and love the low profile of these yet they feel excellent for my metatarsals. It's just the width that is slightly restrictive toward the lateral part of my foot/little toe that feels restricted especially when rolling up to point from demi/flat. I feel slight rocking also when flat footed. Should I simply try changing the width for my next pair? Any experience with the russian Pointe sapfirs? According the size chart I should be wearing a 37 but that seems very small. I have egyption feet to the max, with wide metatarsal, big toe sticks out, narrow heel. I definitely want to stick with this model though. probably the most comfortable pointe shoe I have ever worn. I've also tried Freeds, Blochs, and used to wear Capezio Contemporas many years ago but they don't fit my feet correctly anymore. Freeds and Blochs of all kinds felt awful and too much sinking. I need a tapered box but one that works with a wider foot. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If Russian Pointe has been feeling good to you, I recommend sticking with the brand. Sapfir is a pretty tapered shoe, and generally not one I'd recommend for wide feet (though as you know, sizing is rarely straightforward and sometimes the least obvious shoe is the best fit.). If you're feeling the shoe is too tight width-wise, moving up a width makes a lot of sense. I do recommend going down a size to a 38 if you go up to a 4 width, as this will help keep the gapping in your heel from becoming worse.

      Another option I think would be good for you is to try a Russian Pointe Rubin. It's similar to the sapfir, but slightly broader in the box and with a larger platform. It's still tapered, though just a touch less so than the Sapfir. It's more suited to wide feet, so you could probably try your regular size (39 w3) in the Rubin and find a decent fit.

      Also, look at what kind of padding your using. A thinner toe pad could make your shoes feel looser if you don't feel ready to change sizes or widths.

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for your feedback! I am writing down Russian Pointe Rubins right now for future reference. As I am getting more into doing turns with these shoes I am definitely also noticing that the narrow platform is a challenge for me, so the broader platform of the Rubin sounds promising. Will definitely check this out! Thanks again!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,
    I am size 4.5 in Grishko Nova width XXX. What will be my Russian pointe shoe size?

    ReplyDelete
  4. My daughter has been wearing the Bloch European Balance but would like to try the Bloch Eurostretch. It's not in town for us to try on first. What are your thoughts? Could we try the same size for the Eurostretch, or should we plan to go to a bigger store out of town for a fitting? Thnaks!

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind.