Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Ballet technique shoes: full sole vs. split sole

A very common question about ballet shoes is this: "What is the difference between full sole ballet shoes and split sole shoes?"  

Pictured above on the left is a full sole ballet shoe.  You can see that the sueded leather sole of the slipper runs from the heel of the shoe to just before the toes.  In the photo on the right, the ballet slippers are split sole.  There is one sueded leather pad at the heel of the shoe and another larger one covering the ball of the foot to just before the toes.

As far as I know, all full sole shoes are leather or imitation leather.  Split sole shoes may be made of leather or canvas.  In general, canvas shoes wear out more quickly than leather shoes, but canvas shoes are cheaper.

Split sole ballet technique shoes are a relatively new invention.  They have only been on the dance scene for the past two or so decades.  Because split sole shoes do not have any leather sole in the arch of the shoe, it is easier for dancers to point their feet.  The point also looks more exaggerated, which is considered more beautiful and indicative of a higher level of technique.  

Before split sole shoes were invented, advanced dancers would often fold and crease their full sole shoes to make the arches more flexible.  I have heard stories of Baryshnikov folding his shoes in half, then turning them inside out before storing them in his dance bag.  

Although split sole shoes are an advantage for advanced and adult dancers, small children should usually wear full soled technique shoes.  This is because the full sole causes the foot to work harder, thus strengthening a growing and developing foot.  Once a child is around 11 years old and the growth plates in the foot have fused together, it is a good idea to move to a split sole slipper.  Adult beginners just starting ballet can start with either a full sole or split sole slipper, as either is appropriate.  Most adults do use split sole shoes, though, so that would be a good choice if fitting in is an important goal.

All brands of ballet shoes are sized differently, and very few of them follow the same scheme as street shoes.  If you have never worn ballet slippers before or if you want to change brands or styles, visit your local dancewear store for a professional fitting to find the shoe that works best for you.

What is your favorite kind of ballet technique shoe?  Do you prefer full or split sole? Leave a comment!

21 comments:

  1. its really informative blog i like your to choose this ballet technique about shoes i loves like to wear full sole because its relaible for me thanks .


    Ballet equipment
    Ballet Workout Dvd
    Ballet Exercise Dvd

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always loved my split soles. I was able to point my toes better and ended up going into Pointe a lot faster than some of my classmates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always loved my split soles. I was able to point my toes better and ended up going into Pointe a lot faster than some of my classmates. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post!!Thanks for sharing it with us....really needed.Women of colour have always had trouble finding the right hosiery to suit their skin shade. Now all that is about to change - we are presenting five shades of ultra sheer skin tone tights for brown and black skin. ..Skin tone tights

    ReplyDelete
  5. It’s nice sharing! The chinese shoes factory www.27880.com ,the best choice you shop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The approach of writer is virtually commendable. The manner he makes use of his innovative imaginative and prescient to transform into terms and permit us to suppose in a one of a kind way too. totally unforgettable revel in after studying this blog. Clarks kids shoes

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was really searching for such a nice post and got here...Thanks for sharing such a nice information, its beneficial for me...Keep sharing more beproductreviews

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes, that’s the way I always wanted to come over such a wonderful platform where I could satisfy myself regarding my issues. I found answers of all most of my check list I prepared after having a lot of confusion. Great job. Colourful paintings

    ReplyDelete
  9. I never knew why I had to wear full sole ballet slippers as a kid in ballet class. I wasn't aware that full sole ballet slippers made the foot work harder. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great blog. All posts have something to learn. Your work is very good and I appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Girls Tap Shoes

    ReplyDelete
  11. So my hair is softer and less tangled. (BLACKWOOD)

    ReplyDelete
  12. MADDspace offers customized Singing, Dancing and Acting classes for each child to learn, develop and improve their skills in Performing. Ballet Class for Kids

    ReplyDelete
  13. Really I am very impressed with this post. Just awesome, I haven’t any word to appreciate this post.
    tap dance shoes in UK

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind.