Saturday, September 20, 2014

What pointe shoe is best for my foot? (Pointe shoe fitting guidelines)

Here it is, the #1 most common question asked across the dance web.  "What pointe shoe is best for my foot?"  It's also often phrased as "What pointe shoe is best for narrow/wide/square/tapered/bunion prone, etc. feet?"

I cannot answer this question.

The only way to find your best shoe is to get professional fittings and try out shoes until you find one that works well.  If you find a shoe you like, don't be surprised if after a while (months, years) your feet change and it no longer works as well.  This is especially prone to happening to dancers who are still growing and going through puberty, dancers who become pregnant, and dancers who take extended time off and then come back to pointe.  Though it sounds rudimentary, trial and error really is the best method of finding your best shoes over your career.

Now, I don't mean blind trial and error.  You shouldn't go pick a random shoe without thought to its size or construction, jam it on your foot, and start dancing.  That's a great way to get injured.  Professional fitters use a series of guidelines based on the shape of the foot and the dancer's level of training (among many other factors) to find shoes that may be compatible to the dancer's needs.

In the rest of this post, I will explain these guidelines in general terms.  I will also provide two brands and models of pointe shoes for every foot type on the guidelines.  One of the shoes will be more compatible with beginner pointe dancers, and the other with advanced pointe dancers.  These shoes will be listed as examples only; they are not the only shoes in the world for the type of foot I am talking about.  For a more extensive selection, visit your local dancewear store and ask the staff for advice.

Guidelines

First, we must consider the shape of the foot.  There are three basic shapes: the toes are narrower than the metatarsals, all the foot is the same width, and the toes are wider than the metatarsals.  Some brands and fitters use the terms Egyptian, Roman, and Peasant, respectively, to identify these foot shapes (Some also use the term Greek to describe a foot with the second/third toe longer than the first, however this shape is usually a subcategory of one of the others).  I prefer the terms tapered, square, and inverted (inverted taper) because they more accurately describe the shape of the foot.

 Square foot                 Tapered foot              Inverted foot

As well as the shape of the foot, the width of the foot plays in.  Feet are generally narrow, medium, and wide widths, although some fall in between.  Most pointe shoes come in at least three widths, and some come in as many as six to accommodate more feet.  It is usually not too difficult to categorize your own feet as fitting vaguely into the categories narrow, medium, and wide.

These are the two most important basic features that go into choosing a pointe shoe, but they are by no means the only features considered.  Presence of bunions, foot flexibility, ankle strength, location of the arch, and level of training also go into choosing a shoe.  These features are harder to discuss in a generic written format, so I will not be going into them quite as much

Now I'll go through the foot shapes and widths, discuss their general needs in a pointe shoe, and provide two example shoes that suit that shape and width foot.  Remember, these are examples, not explicit recommendations.  I will be using specific terms to refer to parts of the shoe. Look back at my "Anatomy of a Pointe Shoe" video to get a refresher on these terms, or check out the images below.

1.  Tapered and Narrow-- In general, this foot type needs a narrow shoe with a low profile and mildly triangular tapered box. Most narrow tapered feet can handle a low wing since there just isn't a lot of foot to "hold in."  For beginners, a good narrow tapered shoe is the Grishko 2007 ProFlex. More advanced dancers could  check out the Russian Pointe Almaz, which has a harder shank and higher vamp.

2.  Tapered and Medium--This foot type usually needs a tapered shoe with a medium profile and mildly triangular tapered box.  A medium foot, especially a strong one with bunions, could use a medium-to-higher wing, but a low wing usually works fine as well.  Beginning pointe dancers could try a Capezio Tiffany, which is soft-shanked and gently tapered.  More advanced dancers could try a Capezio Studio, which has a higher wing, harder shank, and elasticized binding for a sleeker heel.

3.  Tapered and Wide--This is a less common combination, but not so rare that it isn't readily accommodated.  Usually tapered wide feet need a gently tapered box with a higher profile and a medium or higher wing.  Beginning pointe dancers can try a So Danca Claudia, which has a soft shank and higher wing to keep the sides of the foot in line.  More advanced dancers could look at the Russian Pointe Entrada, which has a high profile heart shaped box with a small, tapered platform (good for turning).

4.  Square and Narrow--This is another relatively unusual combination, but it can still be accommodated.  Square narrow feet usually need a fairly square box with a narrow width.  Sometimes a gently tapered shoe works well too, since the foot is narrow (most square shoes run wider).  A low wing is usually ok because the foot is not exerting pressure on the sides of the shoe too much.  Beginning pointe dancers could look at a Bloch Seranade, which has a short, square box that comes in widths B through E.  The shank is a tad hard, so use caution.  Advanced dancers could look at a Freed Studio II, which has a harder shank and higher wing with a relatively square/ slightly tapered box.

5.  Square and Medium--This foot definitely needs a more square box.  Medium width can usually go with any wing.  Beginners could look at a Capezio Gilsse, which has a medium wing. low profile, and very square box.  More advanced dancers could try a Russian Pointe Rubin in a 4 (or higher) width.  These shoes have fairly square boxes, high vamps, and harder shanks.

6.  Square and Wide--This foot needs a very square box and medium to high crown.  Since the box is already very wide and square, the length of the wing needed depends on the strength of the foot and presence of bunions.  Beginning dancers could try Capezio Plie II, which has a short, square box and soft shank.  More advance dancers could look at a Grishko Elite, which also has a short square box, but with a much harder shank.

7.  Inverted and Narrow (Usually does not happen) Try Capezio Tiffany (slight taper with higher profile) or Capezio Gilsse (very square with low profile).

8.  Inverted and Medium (shape sometimes overlaps with square and wide)-- This foot needs a shoe with plenty of room in the toe box, but not so much room all over so that the foot slips.  A medium/higher profile is best, and a relatively square box with a higher wing will keep the foot in place.  Beginners could look at Capezio Aria, which has a rounded square box and softer shank.  Advanced dancers could try a Bloch Balance European, which has similar construction with a harder shank.

9.  Inverted and Wide--This foot definitely needs a rounded square box with a high profile and high wing.  The high wing and high profile will help the foot be comfortably accommodated without being squished or making bumps.  Beginning pointe dancers could look at the So Dance Nikiya, which has a large square box with a high profile and softer shank.  More advanced dancers can check out the Bloch Dramatica, which is similarly shaped, but it has a split outer sole for a more defined arch.

There you have it.  Those are the most basic guidelines for placing a foot type in a pointe shoe.  Remember that these are just guidelines to help you understand what pointe shoe fitters do and give you a basic understanding of what your needs may be based on your foot type.  These are not by any means all the factors that are considered when choosing a pointe shoe, so don't take my words as gospel.  Head to your local dancewear store to find out more and schedule a professional fitting.

Any more questions or comments?  Leave a comment below!

22 comments:

  1. Lots to think about...I guess that is why a professional fitting is best. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing more about these different guidelines for picking out good pointe shoes! My daughter is going to be starting in pointe shoes this year for her ballet classes, and I want to be sure that she has pointe shoes that fit her really well. It sounds like there are quite a lot of brands available, so the best thing is probably to just get a fitting. If I could take her in for a professional fitting, I am sure that we could get really good advice on what shoe is best for her foot shape! http://www.bouncepodiatry.com.au/services/dancers/pointe-shoe-fitting/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you found my article helpful! Tell your daughter congratulations; it's a big deal to have a first pointe fitting! I'm sure she's worked very hard. If you are taking her to the podiatrist you linked for her fitting, I'm sure they will do a great job. The site says they stock grishko pointe shoes, which is the brand I favor for myself. There are tons of different styles within the grishko brand, and they are sure to find something that accommodates her foot well. Most dancewear stores that sell pointe shoes also offer fittings with trained staff members. No matter where you choose to go, always show the un-sewn and un-worn shoes to the teacher for approval (or better yet, ask the teacher to attend the fitting with you).
      Happy dancing!
      --Jillian

      Delete
  3. I am really worried now, because I am a beginning pointe dancer and I got the Capezio Tiffany's. When I read your description it was very helpful, but I don't understand why my Capezio's have a really really hard shank. In your description, it said that the Capezio Tiffany's had a soft shank, which I really need because of my foot shape but mine don't. Can anyone help?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are 2 possibilities here. One is that the shoe you purchased was manufactured quite a while ago. The glue in shoes tends to harden over time, and some local dancewear stores hold on to stock for a long time (years, maybe close to a decade in some cases). The other possibility is that what is considered soft to advanced dancers may still feel very hard to a dancer who is new to pointe. This can be especially evident if you are quite young or petite as well. If you feel like the shoe is too hard to get over the box, ask your teacher to help you manually soften the boxes and shanks a little. Do not attempt to do this yourself--you could destroy the shoes if you're not careful. A teacher or other pointe shoe expert can help kickstart the breaking in process, and this can get you up on the shoes more easily.

      Delete
  4. I have roman toes, the first 3 toes are the same length. does grishko proflex 2007 work for my toes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Possibly. If your foot is relatively narrow, low in the crown, and your last 2 toes are significantly shorter than the first 3, then it may work. You may need a wider width to make more room in the box. The only way to know for sure is to get fit. If this one doesn't work out, I believe Grishko also makes a fouetté proflex. A few other brands also make especially soft or 3/4 shank shoes (Bloch and So Dance do for sure).

      Delete
  5. I have a few quick questions. I actually don't know what kind of foot I have. I have a super super long big toe, and then the rest of my toes are about the same length. Am I a tapered foot? I also think I have medium or wide feet. I've recently tried out the Grishko Elite, and I've had serious problems with just doing a small barre in class without my feet hurting like crazy. Before, I had European Balance, and those shoes just didn't really work for me. Any ideas of possible shoe brands I could try, or for now, a way to stop my pain?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds to me like you have a wide and relatively tapered foot. The shoes you've been wearing are more suited to wide square feet. You may do better with a slightly more tapered model like a Russian Pointe Rubin or Entrada or a Fuzi. In the meantime, think about filling the negative space in your shoes (likely the area at the end of your smaller toes) with lambswool so there will be less pressure on your big toe.

      Delete
    2. Thank you! I asked my ballet teacher, and she said lambswool, so I'm going to try using that for now. I really appreciate the advice!

      Delete
  6. My pointe shoes are not staying on in class at all. I have a maybe 1:15 minute dance for Nutcracker at my studio, and they keep slipping. I recently adjusted my elastics, and even that isn't helping. Any ideas? The shoe I'm wearing is a Capezio Developpe, just so you know. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you're allowed to use rosin, try dipping your heels in it before putting on your pointe shoes. This will create some friction and stick so the heels are less likely to slide off. If you can't do rosin, try putting a piece of Nexcare waterproof tape (available at drugstores/grocery stores in the first aid section) on your heels before putting on your shoes. The tape has a foamy texture, and it also helps increase friction.

      Delete
    2. We don't use rosin at my studio, we don't need it. I have athletic tape, and I've been using it, and it doesn't help. Is that similar?

      Delete
    3. Rosin on your feet inside your shoes is very different from rosin on the outside ir sole of your shoe. While you may nit need it fir a slippery floor, it’s a dream for making heel slippage less likely. Athletic tape generally has a fabric texture, and it doesn’t so much to increase friction. Nexcare waterproof tape is foam, (kind of like a thick, soft bandaid), and it creates a significant amount of friction to keep your heels from slipping.

      Delete
  7. How long would a pair of Bloch pointe shoes last if I am dancing 4.5 hours a week in them?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anywhere from 3 to 6 weeks would be average, depending on the strength of the shank, the humidity where you live, and the particulars of your foot.

      Delete
    2. Ok, so no super long. Thank you so much. I'm looking at different shoes, and even if one fits be really well, my mom will be super annoyed if she has to buy me new shoes super often. :)

      Delete
  8. What kind of shoes are similar to Russian Pointe Rubins?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Right now I am using Grishko 2007 proflex(size 5XX). I am 13 and on my 4th year of pointe. I kind of want to try out something different. The ones I am using now fit well, I just want to see if something else may be better for me. Do you know which kinds would work for me too since the Grishko ones do?

    ReplyDelete
  10. It verbalizes a limitless creativeness. i'm definitely inspired with the real transformation ability of author used for remodeling his thoughts and supplied right here. impressed with deep which means of this text. Bobux shoes

    ReplyDelete
  11. My daughter needs high wing, tapered, medium-wide box. Hard shank. She has bunions. Any suggestions? We are in Oregon...not many options.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I recently came across your article and have been reading along. I want to express my admiration of your writing skill and ability to make readers read from the beginning to the end. I would like to read newer posts and to share my thoughts with you. detox patches

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind.