Saturday, October 1, 2016

September Favorites

Here's what I've been loving in September...

Bloch Prolite II Leather Ballet Slippers



I've been very into leather ballet shoes lately.  I feel like my turnout is more stable if I have a little more friction between my feet and the floor.  My biggest complaint about leather shoes is that they can look gappy or sloppy because thick leather doesn't conform to the shape of the feet like canvas does.  However, these shoes from Bloch have a canvas arch that pulls in when the toes are pointed so there's less excess material.  The leather is also pretty thin, so it doesn't exert too much pressure on the toes and it stretches and molds easily within a few wears. (Available from discountdance.com.)


Body Wrappers Trash Bag Pants



I love wearing these pants to class and rehearsal in the fall.  They are super lightweight, but hold enough warmth to keep my muscles from getting cold.  The purpose of trash bag pants is to hold warm air round the body so muscles and joints get warmed up for a better performance.  I find that these do an awesome job, and they are completely appropriate for streetwear (even though they look a little goofy to non-dancers).  I have my trash bag pants in black, which I find to be the most classic color, but Body Wrappers also offers them in a few fun jewel tones like dark teal and dark purple. (Available from discountdance.com.)


Rocket Dog High Tops




Ok, this is turning into the shoe report… Sorry, but I like shoes.  It's getting to be fall, and it's time for closed-toed shoes with socks all the time.  I recently snagged a pair of black faux-suede high tops on sale, and they are absolutely fabulous.  I may be a ballet dancer, but I'm a little bit punk.  I wear these shoes everywhere, even  my business-casual workplace (I pair them with flared trousers to dress them up a little).  Rocket Dog shoes are some of my favorites because they're so versatile and easy to customize. I usually wear them "up," but they can also be turned down at the ankle and tongue for a different look.  I like that Rocket Dogs tend to be lightweight, but they can be easily modified to feel more substantial --just add a gel insole.  (Check out rocketdog.com for current styles.)


Maybelline Dream Wonder Powder



This powder foundation from Maybelline may be available at the drugstore, but it's pretty high quality.  The product claims to be a "powderless powder" that 's invisible on skin.  After trying it out for a few months, I can say with confidence that this powder is a hit.  Formula wise, it's similar to Clinique's Almost Powder, but it looks even softer on the skin.  Even with a heavier layer, this powder doesn't cake up.  It also barely settles or creases, even after hours of wear.    I recommend a light dusting over BB cream for every day, and a heavy layer as matte stage makeup.  This powder does not contain SPF and it can be a tiny bit dry for normal-to-dry skin types, so use a high SPF moisturizer underneath for a comfortable and flawless finish.  (Available at most drugstores.)


Briogeo Don't Despair, Repair! Hair Mask



I love this hair mask so much!  I have naturally thin, fine hair that is oily at the roots and dry at the ends.  This mask really revitalizes my hair and makes the length super soft without making it heavy or greasy feeling.  The mask can be used as a quick rinse-out conditioning treatment, or you can leave it on for 20 minutes or longer for a deep penetrating hair recovery session.  In addition to these two uses, I also like using the mask as a leave-in conditioner after I get out of the shower.  I take just a tiny bit (dime size or smaller for hair that falls a bit below the collarbones) and massage it on the length of my wet hair (avoiding the scalp) before brushing it out with a tangle teezer.  This keeps my hair super shiny and manageable. (Available from Sephora stores and on sephora.com.)


Local Raw Organic Honey





Even though I follow a meat- and dairy- free diet, my love for honey keeps me from being  a strict vegan.  I cut most animal products and most wheat products from my diet to help alleviate digestive issues and keep me feeling energized without bloat.  Raw honey contains enzymes (similar to those found in probiotic supplements) that aid digestion.  Locally produced honey is also suggested to help seasonal allergies since it contains traces of pollen from the geographic area.  I like to take a spoonful of honey and dissolve it in a cup of warm water with a squeeze of lemon for a gentle and cleansing start to the morning.  I also love honey as a sweetener for tea (pumpkin spice chai, anyone?) and drizzled on toast or pancakes.  (Check out your local farmers' markets for the best selection in your area.)

1 comment:

  1. Congratulation for the great post. Those who come to read your Information will find lots of helpful and informative tips. Dance Wear Online in USA

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind.