Sunday, September 7, 2014

Item review: Bloch Zenith ballet technique shoes

This is the Bloch Zenith ballet technique shoe (style number BS0282L).   It is a canvas split sole shoe.

I tried these shoes out about a year ago.  This product has only been on the market for about 16 months or so.  When I initially saw an ad for the Zenith in Pointe Magazine, I wanted to try it.  I ordered my pair through my local dancewear store.

The color of the Bloch Zenith shoes is a dark peachy-pink color.  It does not match theatrical pink or ballet pink tights.  It is much closer to light-medium Caucasian skin tone.  I believe they also come in black from the vendor.  Most online retailers only have pink.

Size wise, the Zeniths run in the standard Bloch ballet shoe size scheme.  Children's street sizes up to 4, go with street shoe size.  Women's street sizes 5 and up, subtract 2 sizes.  Men's street sizes, go with street size or one size up.  Choose your regular width (only B and C available).  I went with a 3B (women's size 5, minus 2 sizes, plus regular width).

The main selling point of these shoes is that the canvas they are made of is stretchy.  This keeps them from wrinkling in the arch when the dancer points his or her toes.  Because my foot is small and relatively narrow, it is hard to find a technique shoe that remains unwrinkled all the time.  The Zeniths did a great job of hugging my foot--I loved the stretchiness. The Zeniths have an adjustable elastic drawstring.  I used it to pull the shoe closer to my foot to avoid gapping on the sides.  Loose drawstring ends bother me, so I eventually cut them off.

The inside of the shoe is not lined.  There is also no insole, just fabric pads sewn on the inside of the shoe in the same places as the suede pads on the bottom of the shoe.  These pads inside the shoe are not necessarily uncomfortable, but they do not provide a singular clean surface to stand on the way shoes with insole linings do.

After wearing the Zeniths for just a month or so, they had huge holes in the toes.  I mended the holes with pointe shoe thread, but I developed more holes in another month.  I am extremely disappointed in the longevity of use, especially because the shoes felt high quality when I first put them on.  

I think if a dancer needs a flat shoe that looks beautiful on the foot and will only be worn a few times (like for a performance), the Bloch Zenith is a good choice.  If a dancer needs a shoe with a long lifespan, this is definitely not the best choice.

This shoe costs about $22.00 to $29.00, depending on where it is purchased from.  This price point is just slightly more expensive than most other moderate brand canvas slippers.

Overall, I give this product a 5 out of 10.  (Great in terms of look, pretty good in terms of comfort, downright awful in terms of durability).



2 comments:

  1. Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your blog and wanted to say that I’ve really enjoyed reading your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing to your feed and I hope you post again soon.



    Ballet Equipment |
    Where can I go to a ballet fitness class

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used these for a while, and I wasn't a big fan either. They also don't look super pretty on my feet.

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind.