Wednesday, July 26, 2017

July 2017 Favorites


Greetings from MODAS Dance Summer Intensive!  July’s been another odd month for scheduling.  I had a week off, then two weeks of summer classes at the studio, and now I’m mid-way through my first week at MODAS.  Here’s what I’ve been liking this month.

Dancewear
Yumiko Kiki Leotard


It’s sooooo hot this time of year.  While the studios do have air conditioning, it only takes a few minutes of activity for the rooms to heat up again.  This leotard is perfect for this time of year since it has camisole straps and not much of a back.  It’s nice to be able to feel the breeze on more of my body than just my face.  This leo is great for ballet, but definitely needs a shirt over top for modern and floorwork Available from yumikoworld.com

                                                      Nike Dri Fit Shirt

And the shirt I prefer to wear over top for modern and floorwork?  It's this one by Nike.  The synthetic fabric is super soft, and the scoop neck ensures the shoulders never ride up on broader upper-bodied dancers (hello, me).  The fit is very flattering, and the shirt is long enough to provide modesty over just a leotard, but it's not so long or loose to get in the way when performing combinations.  I got mine at Kohls, but check kohls.com or anywhere that sells nike for numerous colors.

Streetwear
Hollister Men’s Fleece Joggers
                            


While writing this, I was thinking streetwear? What streetwear?  All I’ve been wearing is dancewear…  But when I’m home for the evening, these are what I throw on.  Paired with a camisole or t-shirt, these joggers are my favorite pajamas.  I like that they’re tapered, but not tight-fitting (hooray for men’s styles).  They’re super soft and feel high-quality.  Find them on hollisterco.com.

Skincare
Aztec Secret Indian Healing Clay  
                        

This is a powdered bentonite clay mask that works wonders to clear pores.  Mix a tablespoon or two with an equal amount of apple cider vinegar and apply to a cleansed face.  Wait until the mask dries, wash off, and enjoy clearer pores and less skin texture.  This does the same job as formulas like Fresh Umbrian Clay and Glamglow Supermud, but it’s a lot cheaper.  My skin is a little more problematic in the summer (thanks to heat, sweat, and floorwork), and this mask does a lot to keep small clogs from getting a lot worse.  Find it from iherb.com and at some Walmart stores.

Food
MRM Veggie Meal Replacement Powdered Shake in Chocolate Mocha
                             


Ok, this has the worst name ever.  And it comes in a big white tub that looks like it should be lawn fertilizer or something…But it’s a protein shake.  And it tastes like Starbucks Frappuccino.  For realz I like to have a shake for breakfast alongside another item like peanut butter toast or a handful of nuts.  I also sometimes have it as a snack.  I don’t like to think of it as a meal replacement, but it’s nutritious enough to be one.  I mix one scoop of powder with various other ingredients (unsweetened baking cocoa, flax meal, almond milk, cinnamon, etc.) in a blender bottle.  The mix contains over 20g protein per serving, and it’s low carb with no added sugar (great for a keto lifestyle).  Find it from iherb.com and at most natural grocery stores.

Entertainment
Riverdale TV Series



Welcome to the latest category of monthly faves I really just wanted to rave to somebody about this show (and no, I’m not copying other YouTubers/bloggers who have already talked about it; I’ve been watching basically since it showed up on Netflix).  I’m pretty cynical about most TV shows; I have a hard time taking anything seriously if it becomes campy or seems to have ulterior motives.  But I absolutely loved Riverdale

The show is based on the Archie comics, but it’s definitely remade for today.  It takes place in the present, and the characters are all much more deeply developed than they are in the comics.  The issues the characters face are all quite realistic and applicable, and the main action is built on a dark mystery, but the presentation has a touch of comedy to it.  The best way I can describe it is it’s as if Glee, Scooby Doo, 13 Reasons Why, and Criminal Minds were thrown into a blender with some Archie comics and this is what came out. 

Riverdale has a really nice quality to it—it’s small-town, but big budget.  The sets, costumes, cinematography, and actors are all great.  Most are unfamiliar to me, but Cole Sprouse(you may remember him from his Disney channel show back in the mid 2000s) plays Jughead, and the representation is just awesome. 


As a final note, the show is definitely mature, but it’s not explicit.  I appreciate that a lot.  I highly recommend this show.  It’s definitely appropriate and engaging for teen and up audiences.  Check out season 1 on Netflix, and get ready for season 2 coming to the CW.

1 comment:

Please be kind.