Sunday, April 10, 2016

Perfect Fit Pointe toe pads review



Perfect Fit Pointe (perfectfitpointe.com) is a small online company that sells a system of pointe padding (they refer to their product as "inserts" rather than "pads") that is very different from anything else on the market.  The product is a DIY kit to create toe pads perfectly formed to a dancer's foot.  The kit contains tubs of silicone-based modeling clay (this sets and becomes dry and stiff-yet-flexible in a matter of minutes after opening the container) and, small fabric pockets for spacers, and thin mesh sockliners.  The general idea is to shape the clay around the toes (with a spacer embedded in it if you wish), put the sockliner over top, and cover with a piece of cellophane.  Then the dancer puts on her pointe shoes and does about 10 minutes of barre work while the modeling clay sets.  After the toe pad is set, it is removed and trimmed.  The result is a perfect impression of the dancer's foot.    The clay spreads around the foot and flows between the toes to fill voids in the shoe and become thinner where the toes exert more pressure on the shoe.  This distributes pressure more evenly and makes the foot more stable in the shoe.  The idea is spectacular, the process is easy to complete, and the kit is not too expensive (about $35) for something that is considered revolutionary.  Read more about the Perfect Fit Pointe philosophy and process here.

I purchased a Perfect Fit Pointe kit a few months ago.  I tried using it according to the recommend directions, but that didn't work out so well for me.  I experimented a little and came up with a new process using the Perfect Fit Pointe kit components.  In the rest of this post, I will share my experience and list the instructions I have developed for a more universally successful way of using Perfect Fit Pointe's kit.

(Please note that I am a 20-something with "adult" feet that are very tapered, narrow, bony, and non-compressive.  I have bunions on both the big toe side and pinky toe side of both feet that regularly get sore and blistered, and I also get a lot of pain in the nail bed of my big toes.  I usually wear spacers and Pillows for Pointes SuperGellowes toe pads in my pointe shoes.  I am an advanced dancer who has been en pointe for several years.  If you are a beginner, always ask your teacher before substantially changing anything about your pointe shoes or toe pads.)

When I received my Perfect Fit Pointe kit, I used it according to the recommended directions for my right foot.  I applied the clay to my foot as the directions describe, and I used an embedded spacer.  I put the sockliner and cellophane over top and slipped my foot into a brand-new Grishko DreamPointe.   A few minutes into my barre work, I could feel the clay shifting around my foot.  The clay moved to under my little toes and moved away from my big toe and bunions.  This left me feeling like I was very supported in the shoe, but there was sharp, abrasive pain in my big toe and bunions.  I could totally see the benefit of this type of padding, but I knew at that moment that I could not dance comfortably with so little padding on the parts of my foot that hurt most.  I completely understand the benefits of not padding areas that come in contact with the shoe, and I know that over time pain should diminish when the foot is properly aligned.  However, I am accustomed to more padding in order to avoid abrasions and pressure.  I currently danced well with minimal to moderate pain with my SuperGellowes and spacers combo, so I was not willing to increase pain, which I know severely decreases the quality of my dancing.

I believe that young students who are not used to any particular kind of padding and professional dancers who use no padding could both benefit a lot from using Perfect Fit Pointe according to the recommend directions.  It could easily align the foot without adding any bulk of padding.  However, for dancers with sensitive feet, bunions, or who are used to thicker toe pads, I developed this set of instructions that incorporates the immense benefits of Perfect Fit Pointe's foot-impression clay and the comfort of thicker toe pads. 

Before you get started, make sure your pointe shoes will fit once the Perfect Fit Pointe clay is applied and the new toe pads are created.  To do this, put on your pointe shoes with the toe pads you will use for the project and a set of spacers.  If this is how you usually wear your pointe shoes, you're good to go.  If you don't normally wear spacers, make sure to try on your shoes with spacers and toe pads before starting the process.  The spacer will mimic the extra tightness created when you apply the Perfect Fit Pointe clay.  If your shoes feel too tight, try a pair one width wider. 

Also note that my process uses only half the amount of clay provided in the Perfect Fit Pointe kit.  You can save the rest of the clay for later, create two sets of toe pads now, or share with a friend.

You will need:

-Perfect Fit Pointe kit (you will only need the clay and cellophane wrappers)

-A pair of fabric lined toe pads that you already know works for you ( I recommend Pillows for Pointes Gellowes, Pillows for Pointes SuperGellowes, or Danztech Skinny Dips, but any fabric lined toe pad will work.  This process will NOT work with toe pads that are completely made of silicone, foam, rubber, or plastic.)

-Your pointe shoes

-Scissors

-A sharpie

-A hard floor/area where you can do barre work (kitchen counter works great)

Instructions:

Warm your feet a little by walking around or doing some barre work on flat.  Make sure your feet are clean and dry.  Open ONE container of blue clay and ONE container of white clay.  Mix the colors together with your fingertips to create a uniform light blue color (should take no more than 20 seconds or so). 

Divide the ball of clay in half and apply one half to each foot.  YOU MUST DO BOTH FEET AT ONCE.  If you usually wear spacers, make sure you put some clay between your big toe and second toe.  Spread the rest of the clay over the tips of your toes, carrying it down to your bunions and over the top of your foot.  Don't put any under your toes, as it should flow through your toes after you get your shoes on. 

Put your toe pads on, put the cellophane wrappers over your toe pads, and put on your pointe shoes.  Don't spend too long tying your ribbons.  Start doing basic barre exercises for about 10 minutes.  You will feel  the clay moving around slightly on your feet. 

After 10 minutes, take your pointe shoes off.  Slide your toe pads off and remove the cellophane wrappers.  The clay should have set to a firm, yet flexible consistency.   Use scissors to trim any clay that has flowed outside the confines of the toe pad.  Use the sharpie to mark the toe pads right and left.  They will not fit on the opposite feet.

These toe pads will now promote foot alignment, support areas where there are voids in your shoes, and provide padding and protection from abrasions where your foot is in direct contact with the shoe.  I have been using my toe pads enhanced with Perfect Fit Pointe clay since January, and I do feel more supported and comfortable in my shoes.  If you are willing to spend the time and money to get Perfect Fit Pointe clay and create your customized toe pads, I think it's a great investment in your foot health and dance quality.

3 comments:

  1. I have a question. I normally wear a spacer between my big and second toe. To do this method you are talking about, do I wear my regular spacer when I mold the clay? So are you saying use the molded pad PLUS another pad outside of it? Photos would be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you want to embed a spacer, you should first wrap it in fabric (or the little spacer cover that comes with the kit), the place it between your toes before starting the molding process. I son't recommend embedded spacers with my method, though, as they may make the passing too bulky and tight. I find that the clay flows between my toes as needed during the molding process, and an embedded spacer is not needed.

      When I make my toe pads, I use the perfectfit clay right inside a fabric toe pad (the clay sticks to it on the inside), and I just throw away the liners that come in the kit. This forms one hefty pas that always stays together- no layering.

      I just posted a photo of my toe pads on instagram. Search @dancejcupp01 and you should find me.

      Hope it helps!

      Delete

Please be kind.