Saturday, March 4, 2017

Book Review: With Ballet in My Soul

I always find dance books inspiring.  It's fascinating to get a glimpse into another dancer's life and see how it is similar and different to mine.  This book, the autobiography of 96-year-old Eva Maze, is full of amazing accomplishments that remind the reader that nothing can stop a dedicated dancer from pursuing her dreams.



Eva began ballet as a little girl growing up in 1920s Romania, but a serious illness forced her to pause her training.  After fleeing Jewish persecution in pre-WWII Eastern Europe and moving to the United States, Eva resumed her training as a young adult and advanced to a high enough level to train with the greats across the US and Europe and perform character roles in professional productions.  During years of travel for her husband's career with Pan Am, Eva studied numerous dance styles in addition to ballet, including Spanish and Indian dance.

After working in radio broadcast, Eva became interested in dance and performance company management, and she embarked on a multi-decade global journey as a professional impresario. Eva worked with numerous dance and other performance companies touring across Europe and Asia, and even managed the Folklore Festival, a celebration of multicultural dance performances at the 1972 Munich Olympics.  Throughout her career, Eva presented many artists including the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, Het Netherlands Ballet, soloists from American Ballet Theater and Ballet Russe, and even country singers Hank Williams and Johnny Cash.

Eva worked into her 70s, and after spending time in Paris (and living in the same apartment building as Stella McCartney), retired to Sarasota, Florida in 2009.  She still enjoys art and attending as many local performances as she can.

It was absolutely charming to read Eva's story in her own words.  The experience was like talking to an elderly relative.  I loved seeing the events of her life put in perspective with other historical milestones (such as WWII, the Munich Olympics, and the building and subsequent fall of the Berlin Wall).  The book is lovely and replete with photographs and images of posters and the like from Eva's numerous performance tours.  It's certainly a good choice for dance lovers and history lovers alike.

As a relative latecomer to professional dance training myself (though I started ballet as a tot, I didn't decide to pursue advanced training until my later teens), I related to Eva.  I understand what it's like to have a foundation of dance education, but lack experience compared to others at my level.   I also see similarities in our lives of travel.  My father was military, and I moved a lot throughout my childhood, which further fractured my dance training and continuity in my schooling and social connections.  I enjoyed seeing how resilient Eva was during her years near-constant relocation.  She always made the best of her situation, and was able to train in unique dance styles as a result.  I have fond memories of learning traditional Japanese dance during my family's time stationed in Okinawa, and I imagine Eva is equally pleased with her opportunity to study traditional dances during her time in India.

Most importantly, this memoir reminds dancers that even the most extenuating circumstances don't have to kill dreams.  Dedication and hard work can help dancers surpass setbacks from illness, relocation, or minority status.  Eva's story also importantly reinforces the fact that an inability to pursue a career in dance does not preclude a person from pursuing a career in the dance industry.  Management, costuming, and numerous other dance and performance related careers are wonderful options for those who can't dance professionally.

Overall, I found this to be a wonderful read, and I definitely recommend it.  Some subjects (mostly the related history) can get a little heavy, so I think this book is great for ages 12 and up.  It will be available from Moonstone press, and it's due out in the spring.

1 comment:

Please be kind.