Sunday, January 1, 2017

More About Me!



Happy New Year, everyone!  I've been providing advice on this blog for over two years now, and it's probably time I gave you a bit more information about myself.  Here are the answers to a few questions I commonly hear, as well as some random fun facts.

Where do you live?

I live in Albuquerque, New Mexico.  I have lived here since 2004.

What is your day job?

I work for a technology company that specializes in engineering.  I work mostly on documentation (like manuals) related to flight simulators.  It's an exciting environment, and I get to use some of the skills I gained while getting my Bachelor's degree in Communication and Journalism. 

How long have you been dancing?

I've danced on and off my whole life.  I took my first ballet class at age 2.  I moved a lot as a kid, so I was rarely at the same studio (or taking the same style) more than a couple of years in a row.  After my family moved to Albuquerque, I started regularly taking  jazz and ballet technique.  I became very serious about my ballet training in 2012, and I've been with the academy and company at Ballet Repertory Theater (BRT) of New Mexico since then.

How do you know so much about dancewear?

I have a ton of personal experience!  I have a huge dance wardrobe (it's a guilty pleasure).  I love trying new things, and I'm always curious about whether a new product will meet my needs better than an older product.  I also used to work at a dancewear store, so that gave me exposure to a lot of products that I don't use in my daily dance life.

What pointe shoes do you wear?

At the moment, Grishko 2007 Pro in size 4 3X.  I also regularly swap between the Grishko DreamPointe and original Grishko 2007. 

Who takes your photos? 

Usually my mom (K Cupp).  Sometimes Vizions Photography by Genovieve Alexis, and sometimes BRT's photographers Seasons Photography and Jeff Giese.

Do you watch So You Think You Can Dance?  Who is your favorite choreographer?

I do, though sometimes the show is on while I am at class or rehearsal and I miss most of the episodes.  I watched the show religiously between 2005 and 2012, and I love Mia Michaels.  I sort of wish the show would return to the original format with Nigel, Mary Murphy, and a choreographer guest judge on the panel. 

What's your proudest dance moment/best dance story?

In summer 2015 I was selected to perform in a special production of Ballet Repertory Theater at Diner en Blanc Albuquerque.  (Diner en Blanc is a worldwide fantasy picnic event where people dressed all in white gather in cities across the globe at secret locations to engage in fine dining picnics and enjoy high class entertainment.  Find out  more at dinerenblanc.info.)  The event was secret, so for the whole month of rehearsals, I had no clue what I was rehearsing for.  Eventually the company started rehearsing at the venue, which was outside!  The "stage" was concrete!  To make matters worse, it rained heavily during the outdoor rehearsals, and I completely ruined a few pairs of pointe shoes.  The performance turned out to be spectacular (the company was on the news), and I have memories to last a lifetime!



What's your favorite color?

Almost everything I own is gray or a pastel cool color like blue or teal.  I think cool colors look best on me.

How many classes a week do you take?  Do you cross train?

I usually take 4 or 5 technique classes per week.  Depending on the season, I also take 1 pointe class, 1 partnering class, and 1 modern class.  I also rehearse 2-6 hours a week, depending on the season.  I do cross train, but my schedule varies.  I try to jog or do cardio once or twice a week for at least 20 minutes, and I like to follow it up with 20 minutes of weights or ab work.  I also do planks, push-ups, sit-ups, and stretches at home on a (pretty much) daily basis.  I adore my foam roller and balance board, and I work them into my routine as well.

What's your favorite brand of dancewear?

That's tough.  I like different brands for different things.  Overall, I think I like Grishko and Bloch best.  I also like Yumiko for leos and Gaynor Minden for tights and warm-ups.

What about street clothes?

Ann Taylor Loft (especially Lou&Grey) is my favorite; my entire professional wardrobe comes from there, as well as some of my casual clothes.  I also like Hollister a lot (the sizing works well for my long thin limbs and torso).

What do you like to eat?

I have pretty severe hypoglycemia and some digestive issues, so I follow a vegan diet (I'm not super strict about ingredients in prepared foods like soups or cereals, but I avoid all dairy products, meats, and hard-to-digest things like broccoli and processed whole wheat products).  I try to eat mostly foods that provide sustained energy like complex carbs and proteins.  I like to have a granola bar or oatmeal with a banana for breakfast on weekdays, and usually a salad or sandwich with veggies and hommus for lunch.  I have multiple snacks per day; usually more  granola bars, fruit, or snacks I order from Nature Box.  I'm also a big juice drinker, and I sometimes add chia seeds for an added boost.   I usually have dinner when I get home from the studio.  I'm always sweaty and tired and in the mood for something light and easy to make, but delicious.  I like miso soup with rice noodles a lot.  It's most important for me to eat something that 's going to make me feel good, both in the moment and in the long run.  I do treat myself sometimes, and on weekends I usually eat with my parents.  Then I'll have things like french fries and sweets.  If I stick to healthy options during the week, it's a good treat to indulge a bit on weekends.

Tea or coffee?

Usually tea.  I like coffee, and I'll have it sometimes, but I don't have a coffee maker at my house.  I have tea more often.

What are some of your interests besides ballet?

I love writing (you already know that).  I enjoy drawing as well, and I usually spend about an hour a day working on visual art (see some of my drawings on Instagram).  I also love alternative-rock music, crime dramas, Marvel movies (Iron Man is my favorite) and everything related to Iceland ( I was born there).

1 comment:

  1. Love the site! (And everything Iceland - because it's awesome :)

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind.