Saturday, January 28, 2017

January 2017 Favorites: For-a-good-cause Edition

Since it's a new year, I thought I'd populate my January faves with items from brands that give some of their proceeds to charity.  One of my New Year's aspirations is to be a more conscious consumer (have a better understanding of where items come from and where the money used to purchase them goes).  I don't think it's realistic for me to buy solely fair trade products right now, but I do intend to buy more goods that benefit charitable organizations and buy less fast fashion.

Clothing


Bombas socks



Bombas touts that it makes the best socks in the world, and I can say with certainty that it's true.  Bombas socks have built in arch support, no toe seam, a Y-kint heel (fits the foot shape and doesn't drift up or down), and bands at the ankle or calf that prevent socks from slipping.  In the women's varieties, the socks come in two sizes and tons of colors and styles .  I have very small feet, and I tend to have trouble with socks being too big and/or slipping off when I take off my shoes.  Bombas socks fit so perfectly, and all their touted attributes are the real deal.  I wear Bombas socks regularly for modern dance since they keep my feet warm and protected from floorburn without slipping around.  As an added bonus, the brand is completely devoted to charity work and even has a Product Red line.  For each pair of socks purchased, one pair of socks is donated to the homeless (over 1 million donated so far).  For Product Red socks, 50% of sale price goes to support the Global AIDS Fund.  (Available at 
bombas.com)

Life is Good sweatshirts

I've worn Life is Good T-shirts since high school, and I've always been a fan of their soft fabrics and cute designs.  I recently started wearing Life is Good sweatshirts as lounge clothes and warm-ups, and I really love them.  The cotton/poly fabric is super soft as well as durable (although the crusher tees are also soft, they are 100% cotton, which tends to get holes after lots of washing and wearing).  I have very broad shoulders, and the slightly scooped neckline works well for me.  I'm also psyched about the available colors (though they'll probably be in the clearance area by now)-army green and dark grey are some of my best colors.  10% of profits benefit the Life is Good Kids Foundation, which works with childcare organizations to raise quality of care for underprivileged children.  (Available at lifeisgood.com and at some retailers like TJ Maxx)

Skincare


Lush Charity Pot lotion



I live in a super dry climate, so daily applications of rich body lotion are absolutely necessary.  I like formulas that smell good, deeply moisturize my skin, and don't contain many artificial ingredients or colors.  Lush Charity Pot is described as a body lotion, but I think it's thick enough to be a body butter.  I've used Charity Pot before (about 2 years ago), but now that I've started up with it again, I think it's going to become my regular go-to.  Recently it started coming scented with a light floral perfume (from natural ingredients), which is really nice and doesn't stick around too long after application.  Proceeds support multiple grassroots organizations, including some that help animals and local organic farmers.  (Available at Lush stores and lush.com)

Drunk Elephant



I've mentioned Drunk Elephant in my favorites before, and I still use the "holy trinity" of TLC Framboos, B-Hydra, and C-Firma on a daily basis.  DE recently released TLC Sukari Babyfacial, a weekly facial resurfacing mask.  It's a chemical exfoliator that helps remove dead skin and brighten any dark spots.  The results are great, and, as always, the product is free from any face-irritating colors or fragrances.  While I can't say that every Drunk Elephant product is my perfect match, DE Products make up the bulk of my daily skincare routine and will probably remain faves for years to come.  DE supports the International Elephant Foundation (IEF).  All products are cruelty-free and made in the USA.  (Available at Sephora stores, sephora.com, and drunkelephant.com)

Food


Newman's Own pineapple salsa



This delicious salsa is not too spicy, and the pineapple adds a yummy tropical sweetness.  It's the perfect complement to salty tortilla chips and rich refried beans.  I love having chips and salsa (accompanied by hommus or beans for extra protein) as a pre-rehearsal snack, and this salsa is a great condiment for a meal like taco salad.  Proceeds go to the Newman's Own Foundation, a charity founded by Paul Newman to keep up his legacy of philanthropy.  The organization supports numerous groups that help animals, veterans, children, the environment, and nutrition programs.  Find this (and many other Newman's Own products) at most grocery stores.

Misc


House of Marley Smile Jamaica earbuds



I use earbuds and headphones all the time.  They're useful for listening to a variation's music while mentally marking dance steps, enjoying a podcast during a cycling workout, or providing background music while at the office.  I find that most ear buds don't last more than a couple of years because the plastic cord coating tends to split and break off (again, super dry climate here).  I love these earbuds because the cord coating is wrapped thread similar to paracord.  This makes them a lot more durable.  I also love the wood and rose gold accents, and they come with 2 sizes of inserts ("marshmallows") so they fit well in my small ears.  Proceeds support 1Love, the Marley family charitable organization.  (Available at houseofmarley.com and at some retailers like Kohls)

1 comment:

  1. Love the post! Such a positive way to start a new year.

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind.