Friday, December 2, 2016

November Favorites



Dancewear: Bloch Warmup Boots


I've had my candy pink Bloch boots for about 3 years now, and I wear them
mostly at this time of year.  Nutcracker rehearsals really pick up in
November, and during full runs, I often find myself trying hard to keep my
feet and body warm and ready to dance during breaks between my parts.  I
love that these boots can be worn over shoes (flat ballet shoes, jazz shoes,
pointe shoes, etc.).  They are stiff enough to fully protect feet and shoes
(even when dashing across the parking lot to get that thing I left in the
car), but flexible enough to wear while doing warm-up exercises.  (Available
from discountdance.com and blochworld.com in the US)

Streetwear: Zip-up hoodless Polartec jackets



For areas that get chilly in late fall but don't get a lot of snow or
sub-freezing temps (at least until later in winter), zip-up fleece jackets
provide the right amount of warmth both in the studio and on the street.  I
like choosing hoodless designs like these from Eddie Bauer and The North
Face because they are more convenient to wear during dance warm-up. (Ever
tried to do port-de-bras forward or chaine turns while wearing a hoodie?
Inconvenient to say the least.)  Many brands offer similar styles in
different colors and patterns, so you're guaranteed to find one that suits
you.  (Available at most sporting goods and outdoor clothing stores such as
Dick's and REI)

Makeup: CoverGirl Full Lash Bloom



Here's another makeup product that I've been using for a few years, and for
good reason.  If you're anything like me, you like your makeup to look put
together, but not overdone, especially for active rehearsals.  This mascara

(available in brown and black and waterproof and regular options) separates
and lengthens lashes while keeping their natural look.  The formula dries to
a flexible matte finish, so it does not crumble or flake off if you
accidentally rub your eyes.  I highly recommend this reasonably priced
product to everyone from young teen dancers who are interested in starting
to wear light makeup to seasoned makeup-wearers seeking  a more natural
look.  (Available at most grocery and drug stores)

Haircare: Living Proof Night Cap



This hair product is billed as an overnight protector (to keep hair from
getting too tangled while you sleep), but I like to think of it as a miracle
softener and smoother.  I have naturally wavy hair that can easily look dry
and frizzy, but, like most people, I prefer a sleeker look.  I work a
dime-sized amount of Night Cap through my towel-dried hair after I shower,
then brush it with a Tangle Teezer.  Then I gather my hair in a low ponytail
and let it dry overnight.  In the  morning, my hair is shiny and soft with
my natural wavy texture.  (Available at Sephora and Ulta stores and online)

Food: Tea by Republic of Tea



I am a big tea drinker, and I love having different blends in different
situations.  Republic of Tea has a seemingly endless supply of caffeinated,
herbal, and flavored teas sold in sleek round tins (even some decorated with
your favorite characters from Downton Abbey).  The holiday collection is out
now, and whether you prefer black tea or a caffeine-free blend like rooibos,
you'll be sure to find something yummy. Some of my favorites (for all
seasons) are Sweet Vanilla Almond, Blackberry Sage, and Asian Jasmine.
(Full selection available at republicoftea.com, some varieties available at
Whole Foods and Cost Plus World Market stores.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind.