Wednesday, August 31, 2016

August Favorites

Here's what I've been enjoying in the month of August...


Motionwear Wide Strap Princess Camisole Leotard



My ballet school recently updated the uniforms required for each class, and the upper levels now wear this leotard in a variety of the dark colors.  Princess style leotards are very flattering to all body types because they come up high under the arm, but aren't constrictive in the neckline.  Motionwear leotards are made of a thicker and slightly less stretchy nylon fabric, so they wash and wear very well and last a long time without losing color or shape.  Bonus: Motionwear offers long torso versions of the leotard for special order.  (Available from motionwear.com.)



Capezio Callback Skirt



This skirt is part of Capezio's Bradon Collection (Project Runway meets super classy dancewear).  It's a pull on style that resembles a homemade SAB skirt, but it's a bit more refined.  It's snug fitting across the hips, but accented with side slits to provide ease of movement and elegant draping.  The back is also slightly longer than the front, which provides more coverage for curvy dancers.  I love the berry color (it's a bit darker than how it looks online--closer to burgandy) to accent a black or white leotard, but a variety of colors are available (and they match colors of the leos in the Bradon Collection, so you can mix and match if you want).  (Available from capezio.com.)


Forever 21 Cardigans



I love the basic cardigans from Forever 21.  They are a very simple, classic style that can easily work for every environment,  from a professional office to high school to the dance studio.  The cardigans are super light and thin, so they are great for providing some warmth in air conditioning without smothering wearers in outdoor heat.  These sweaters can be dressed up or down, and the deep V-neck (when it's buttoned up) makes it appropriate for wear over leotards.  Forever 21 always carries this style, but the colors vary from season to season.  Brights are fun for summer, and classic black is a sure hit with any outfit.  (Available from forever21.com.)


Dermalogica Daily Microfoliant



I love this product for super gentle daily exfoliation.  If you've heard of Tatcha's exfoliating rice powders, this Dermalogica product is a similar formula, but more cost efficient and (at least for me) more effective.  The powder comes in a fairly large container, and only about half a teaspoon is needed per use, so one jar lasts a long time.  I like putting a shake of powder into a small dish, adding a splash of water, and whipping it with a fan brush until it creates a foamy texture (a bit like whipped egg whites).  Then I use the brush to apply to my face, and I massage with my fingers for about a minute before rinsing off.  The rice-based exfoliant physically buffs away dead skin and absorbs excess oil so skin is ready to absorb serums and moisturizers.  (Available at Ulta stores.)


Burt's Bees Pink Grapefruit Lip Balm



Good lip balm is a must for me since I live in a dry climate.  It's always distracting and uncomfortable to exercise or attend dance class with chapped lips.  Burt's Bees products contain natural beeswax and essential oils to moisturize and protect your lips.  The clear color makes for a natural look on its own, or it can be layered over or under lipstick for added moisture and protection.  I love citrus scents, and this pink grapefruit flavor is so yummy for summer.  (Available at most drug and grocery stores.)


Nature Box




I recently started ordering snacks from Nature Box, which is a food subscription service.  You can get 3, 5, or 10 snacks at a time and specify whether you want them delivered weekly, biweekly, or monthly.  I like getting 5 snacks each month.  Each snack contains 2-4 servings, and all the choices are Whole-Foods quality (super healthy and delicious).  You can pick your snacks, or you can choose to be surprised.  I tend to have a hard time with grocery shopping because I only want to buy staples like bread and produce.  I never know what I will want to eat during the upcoming week, and I get discouraged that all the super yummy things are expensive.  With nature box, I pay a flat rate and get to choose whatever snacks I want.  This saves me money at the grocery store, and it keeps me from getting bored with my food choices (Plus, the snacks offered change each month for even more variety).  Nature Box has frequent specials for new subscribers, usually 50% off your first box or similar savings.  Plans range $13 to $40 (regular price) per shipment in the US.  (Visit naturebox.com for more info.)

1 comment:

Please be kind.