Thursday, June 30, 2016

June 2016 Favorites ( Summer Intensive Edition)

Dancewear:



Mirella Pinch Front Seam Cami Leotard:  This leotard in black is the perfect summer intensive leo.   I wore mine several times over the course of my intensive program.  It's a cami, so it's great for warm environments and challenging classes that make you sweat.  Black is the most common color for dress codes, but the style also comes in red, purple (pictured), white ,and light green, so there are plenty of choices.  With a pinched front and princess seams, the style is elegant and flattering on most body types without being distracting or overly revealing.  Finally, the fabric is a soft synthetic that feels similar to cotton, but doesn't trap heat or show sweat stains as much. (Available from discountdance.com)



Sansha SA1 split sole ballet shoes:  These canvas shoes can outlast leather ones!  That makes them one of my all-time faves.  They are extremely thick and durable, but the canvas is comfy and glides nicely on wood and marley floors.  I highly recommend this shoe for dancers headed to intensives.  Male and female dancers are easily accommodated:  the shoes come in 20 sizes, 3 widths, and an ever-increasing array of colors (including ballet pink, black, white, gray, and various flesh tones).  The shape can be a little "unrefined" for small narrow feet, but seriously nothing can beat the quality and longevity of these shoes.  Sizing can be funky, so refer to my article on Sansha sizing here or get fitted at a dancewear store. (Available from discountdance.com)

Streetwear:



Birkenstock "Arizona" sandals:  After a long pointe class, there's nothing better than letting your feet air out for a while.  These sandals have the freedom of flip-flops, but they also have serious support.  All Birkenstocks have arch support built into the footbed, so your ankles will be properly aligned (no pronation here!).  The buckles on the sandals are adjustable, so you can make the crown of each shoe flatter or taller as you need. (Available from birkenstockusa.com)

Skincare:



Simple Skincare Micellar Cleansing Water:  This cleansing water is kind of like a cleansing toner.  Squeeze a bit onto a cotton pad and wipe it across your face to remove makeup/dirt/sweat or just refresh hot tired skin.  No rinsing is needed; you're all clean!  This is a great product to use on your face, neck, chest, and underarms to freshen up between your intensive classes and evening activities.  This cleansing water is formulated to be safe for sensitive skin, and it's available at most drugstores.

Makeup:



Benefit Speed Brow:  For most classes where I know I will get super sweaty, I don't like to wear makeup.  If I have breakouts, I'll just dab concealer on those spots.  However, sometimes I think I look a little underwhelming with a bare face.  If I'm about to have class with a guest teacher or well-known pro, I want to look my best.  This brow gel is enough to pull everything together without being "too much makeup."  It comes in one universal shade, which is a sheer taupe-brown.  My hair and brows are a kind of light brown/dark blonde shade, and this is so perfect.  It grooms my brows, gives them a hint of thickness, and holds them in place even when I sweat.  Sometimes I even use it as mascara too! (Available from sephora.com)

Food:



Carnation Instant Breakfast:  This powder is meant to be mixed with milk to form a quick, nutritious breakfast.  I like to think of it as a super-energy multitasker.  The powder comes in vanilla, chocolate, and strawberry flavors that can be prepared several ways.  If you don't like to eat much in the morning, try mixing a packet with coffee or hot water to make a "latte" or "hot cocoa" packed with energy and nutrition.  If you (like me) have trouble maintaining your energy level during long technique classes in sweltering studios, mix a packet with cold milk (soy and almond milk work well too) and take it to class in a water bottle.  You can take sips throughout class, and it will provide you with a steady stream of calories and energy.  For an enhanced snack or dessert, mix some powder with yogurt or oatmeal.  I also love that the packets are individually sealed, so they can be carried in a purse or dance bag for easy access. (Available from most grocery stores.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind.