Tuesday, May 31, 2016

May 2016 Favorites!

Dancewear:



Grishko 2007 pointe shoes:  I wore 2007s "back in the day" when I first went en pointe.  After trying a myriad of Grishko's new models that make minor improvements to the 2007 last, there's something refreshing about the original classic design.  Anyone who wears a Triumph, Maya, Nova, Miracle, or DreamPointe can also wear a Grishko 2007, as all 6 shoes are created using the same last.  All follow the same size and width scales except the Triumph and Maya (don't ask why, I don't know).  I love that the 2007s have a higher cut heel (less slippage) and lower cut vamp (easier to pop over and exaggerate the arch).  This makes them great for performances.  Other models may last longer, but this "OG" Grishko bestseller has a lot to offer. (Note that this shoe works best for dancers with tapered toes.)  (Available from discountdance.com, bestpointe.com, and 



Yumiko Veronique Leotard with cap sleeves:  I love this style for spring.  In my area it's often quite warm in the spring, but it's also windy and rainy.  The Veronique style with cap sleeves is perfect for the weather.  It provides enough coverage to feel modest and keep me warm-ish when the studio is chilly, but the short sleeves and back cutout keep me from getting overheated.  My Veronique is black with pale periwinkle colored trim, so it's also most stylish in the spring.  (available from http://global.yumiko-online.com/)

Streetwear:


Rewind Back Cutout Skater Dress (from Kohl's):  This dress has a similar style to the Veronique leotard.  It has a modest front, wide straps, and a small cutout at the lower back.  The dress can easily cover a bra without anything showing through the cutout.  I love that the cutout is small and inconspicuous, but really fun for warmer months.  If you pair the dress with a sweater, it can also work for cooler weather.  I prefer the black and white option, but this dress also comes in a cute shade of light ballet pink. (Available from kohls.com)

Skincare:



Drunk Elephant Skincare Line:  My skin has been so sensitive and dry lately.  Blame it on the weather, stress, sweat…  Regardless of the cause, I always want softer skin with less redness.  This line consists of cleansers, serums, oils, and creams formulated with gentle, non-toxic, and natural ingredients.  The products are pricy ($20-$100 per product), but they absolutely work.  If you want healthy, beautiful skin that requires less makeup (hello, I do), check out this line.  It's available from Sephora, sephora.com, and drunkelephant.com.

Makeup:




Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment in Sugar Ruby:  I recently had a few performances and a photo shoot, and the required makeup for these events was "light stage."  For things like headshots, photos to be printed in programs, and performances in small theaters, it's important to wear the right makeup to magnify/enhance your features without the overwhelming effect of full stage makeup.  Simple face powder, eye liner, mascara, blush, and lip color are all you need.  I love this lip treatment because it's a sheer red with a little shimmer.  The formula feels like a balm, and it gives the perfect wash of stage-red color without the trouble of highly pigmented or drying lipstick.  This product is available from Sephora, sephora.com, or on fresh.com.

Food:



Green Juice:  Green juice is totally a fad right now, but I really, really love it!  I enjoy making my own, but you can also find pre-squeezed tasty green juices at most grocery stores (not just Whole Foods).  Here's how I make mine.  In a blender, I combine 3 cups of fresh spinach (about half a bag of fresh spinach from the bagged salad section of the grocery) with a large can of pineapple chunks in 100% pineapple juice.  I blend the pineapple, juice, and spinach until it is liquefied, then pour the mixture into a 3 quart pitcher.  I then add additional liquid (water, green tea, or a different juice) until the pitcher is full.  I love having green juice as a refreshing and sweet-tasting (honestly, the spinach adds practically no flavor) snack before or after dance class.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be kind.