Sunday, December 14, 2014

Super skincare


Is your skin feeling less than gorgeous after a long run of Nutcracker?  A serious skincare regiment can take your skin from dull and clogged to radiant in just a few days.  Today I'm going to share my skincare faves with you.  I prefer high quality products that give great results.  Some of the products are expensive, but I can guarantee that they work.  If you get money or gift cards for Christmas, consider stocking up on some of these products, especially if you have a spring performance (and more heavy stage makeup) coming up.

The products are listed in the order that I use them.  Be aware that some of the products are used every day, and others are used only once a week or so.  

Also, every product that is from Sephora can be sampled at Sephora stores.  Ask a sales associate for a sample of a product, and you will be provided with either a pre-packaged sample or one that the associate harvests from the tester product.  You can get 3 samples free of charge every time you visit Sephora or shop on sephora.com.  This is a great way to try out expensive products before you purchase them to make sure they work for your specific needs.


To start things off for my nighttime routine, I use Simple Skincare moisturizing facial wash (about $6, Target and Walmart) with my Clarisonic Mia 2 (about $165, Sephora or as low as $70 on eBay--be aware that purchasing from eBay voids the product warranty).  The wash is a satin texture; it's moisturizing without being creamy.  When I use it on my Clarisonic, it removes all my makeup and penetrates deeply into my pores to clean out most of the gunk.  Clarisonics vibrate very quickly to help kill bacteria that can cause acne.  I cleanse first before applying any other product.


I like to use a charcoal or mud mask on a weekly basis (once or twice a week, depending on my skin's needs).  The first one I tried was Origins clear improvement active charcoal mask ($25, Sephora).  I recently got on the GlamGlow bandwagon, and I started using the youthmud tinglexfoliate treatment in the black formula ($19 for the smallest size, Sephora).  Both are great for pulling blackheads and other clogs out of the skin and minimizing pores.  Mud masks like these draw impurities to the surface of the skin so that they can come out, so you may break out the first time you use the product.  The more you use the masks, the fewer clogs you will have and the less you will break out overall.  You can also use these products as spot treatments.  They dry out blemishes and pull out impurities so the spots heal faster.  (After applying your whole night routine, wipe off the blemish with a damp washcloth.  Then use a q-tip or your finger to apply a tiny dab of mask right to the spot.  Let dry, and leave on overnight.  In the morning, rinse off the mask.  The spot should be diminished in appearance and less painful.)
I absolutely love the Kate Somerville Exfolikate intensive exfoliating treatment.  I think it's an amazing magic eraser/ skin rewind/ fountain of youth product.  That said, it costs a fortune ($22 for a travel size, $85 for regular size, Sephora).  This weird green scrub/mask instantly gets rid of skin clogs, uneven texture, and immediately fades post-acne hyper pigmentation.  Use it once or twice a week for deep clearing magic.


After cleansing (and using a mask or scrub if it's a mask or scrub day), I apply H2O plus Face Oasis hydrating treatment ($32, h2oplus.com).  This "magical blue gunk" is the key to getting rid of uneven texture (such as the bumpy forehead I usually have) due to dryness.  Skin that is too dry does not absorb product, even intense moisturizers.  This stuff takes my skin from leathery dry to pearly soft and hydrated in an instant.  Use this as a base after cleansing to make a great surface to absorb the rest of your routine.  As an added bonus, this stuff gives skin that "Downton Abbey" perfect look!
Next, I apply an eye cream.  If you are in your late teens or early twenties, it may be a good time to start using an eye cream to stave off fine lines and wrinkles before they show up in a major way.  You can start using an eye cream at any age, so if you missed the preventative years, it's ok.  You will still see results with this product.  I like Fresh black tea age delay eye concentrate  best, but it's also a huge expense ($85, Sephora).  Garnier ultra lift anti wrinkle firming eye cream is an ok drugstore substitute (about $13, Target or Walmart), but the results aren't as good.  Apply the eye cream under the eyes, as well as to the lid and crow's feet area for anti-wrinkle and firming action.  I like using eye cream at night only (it makes the product last longer), but you can re-apply it in the morning for more results.

When it comes to serum, nothing can beat the Ole Henrikson brand.  I love the Truth Serum collagen booster.  It has a potent vitamin C formula, so it lightens dark spots, builds elasticity, and protects the skin from environmental damage.  It also smells really good and citrus-y.  To seal in the serum, I put on Pure Truth youth activating oil.  This oil looks dark orange when it's pumped out, but it does not color the skin.  It provides great moisture, and it makes my skin feel very smooth.  Each of these products individually are $45 or more at Sephora, but "The Works" kit, which gives smaller sizes of the serum and oil, along with a cleanser, peel, and moisturizer, is just $48.  I think the value is great, and the smaller sizes still last a long time because you only need one pump of serum and one pump of oil each day.


To finish my night routine, I use Blue Lagoon Iceland mineral intensive cream ($65, bluelagoon.com/shop) to seal in all my products and give me great moisturization overnight.  The tube is huge, and I need a slightly-smaller-than-dime-sized amount for my entire face and neck, so the product can last 9 months or more.  This lotion is formulated with minerals from the Blue Lagoon in Iceland.  One of the major ingredients is silica, a mineral that calms skin irritation.  It does wonders for psoriasis, eczema, rosacea, and acne.  Use this product only at night; it makes skin super shiny.


Right before I hop into bed, I apply a thick coat of EOS lip balm (about $4, Target) to my lips. Every time I brush my teeth, I brush my lips as well.  This exfoliates my lips to make them smooth.  This lip balm locks in moisture overnight so my lips are soft and not dry or cracked in the morning.  I also keep one of these in my backpack, purse, and dance bag for moisture on the go. 

My morning skincare routine is very simple (no pun intended).  I gently dab my skin with a damp washcloth to remove excess product and shine, but not completely wipe off the goodness of the night before.  Then I apply Simple Skincare protecting light moisturizer (about $5, Target and Walmart).  This lotion has SPF 15, and it hydrates any flaky patches for smooth makeup application.  Because this product has so few ingredients, it can be a great base layer without causing irritation or breakouts.


And there you have it.  That may seem like a lot of products (and a lot of expensive products at that), but the results are really, really wonderful.  I hope you can get some great inspiration from this post.  Stay tuned for my favorite high quality stage makeup, which gives a great look without harming your skin.


1 comment:

  1. Good sharing, for your information that H2O Plus Face Oasis Hydrating Treatment is formulated for all skin types, it is a water-based super-hydrator which instantly moisturises, balances and distributes hydration for up to eight hours, see detail at:
    http://kidbuxblog.com/face-oasis-hydrating-treatment/

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind.