Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Gaynor Minden pointe shoes: a different kind of shoe

Here is a video from Gaynor Minden that explains the construction of their revolutionary high-tech pointe shoes.


Now that you've heard from Gaynor Minden, I'll give you a little overview of the way the dance community sees Gaynors.  

The video mentioned that some older dancers and instructors have ideas about suffering to become a ballerina.  This is true.  Even now in 2014 some dance teachers allow their students only traditional pointe shoes and minimal lambswool padding.  Some teachers do believe in training through the pain, but many see their methods as strengthening.  When a dancer wears only very thin padding in her pointe shoes, she will develop callouses that will protect her feet and allow her to continue wearing minimal padding (or even no padding) as she becomes more advanced.  

Another major reason that some teachers do not prefer students to use Gaynor Minden pointe shoes is because they are not constructed like traditional pointe shoes.  They also don't "work" in the same way.  If a teacher is instructing a whole class of students en pointe, she may teach the class some exercises to break in shoes.  Because Gaynors do not break in like traditional shoes, these exercises would be confusing to a student wearing Gaynors and they could be harmful to the integrity of the shoe.

Because Gaynor Minden pointe shoes have padding and shock absorbing material in them, it can be difficult for dancers to feel the floor under their toes and heels (where most of the padding is located).  For dancers that have danced predominantly in traditional shoes, this can be a difficult transition that leaves her feeling off balance.

Several customizations can be chosen to get a Gaynor Minden pointe shoe that works best for an individual foot.  Dancers can choose the size (length), width, box shape, shank hardness, and heel cut.  Additional customizations can be made by special order.  Even with all these options, Gaynors still have a relatively short, tapered box and very low wing.  Dancers who need a long box, very square box with a high crown, and long wing will not be accommodated well.  

Gaynor Minden shoes are meant to feel like they are already broken in.  While there is still a process of breaking in the shoe (wearing it while dancing to form the fit to the foot), the shank does not soften over time.  Dancers who are used to hard shoes may find the Gaynors to feel too soft, even in the hardest shanks.  It is widely believed that using a shoe that is soft does not strengthen the foot.  Some dancers find that a softer shoe just strengthens the foot in a different way since it forces the dancer to pull up and articulate the foot more.

Some dancers do like Gaynor Minden shoes and find them to be the best choice.  Generally dancers who do well in Ganyors are absolute beginners (especially adult beginners) who like a shoe that is easy to roll through, and advanced and professional dancers who need a comfortable shoe that lasts a long time and is quiet on stage.  

In my opinion, Gaynor Minden pointe shoes are a good option for dancers with narrow, medium, or wide tapered feet and narrow square feet.  I think young (and adult) beginners who cannot get up on the platform of a traditional shoe can be accommodated well in a Gaynor.  Advanced dancers who have "had it" with the pain and hassle of pointe shoes can sometimes find relief in a Gaynor.  I absolutely encourage the option of the high-tech shoe when traditional shoes just aren't doing the job.  
However, when it is possible, I prefer to encourage traditional pointe shoes when they can get the job done.  I believe that a dancer's first pair of pointe shoes should be a traditional shoe (if a suitable shoe can be found) so she can get the experience of feeling the hard paste box with the floor right under her toes.  After this first experience, it is ok to experiment with different makes and models, including Gaynors, to find the best shoe for the individual foot and dance experience.

I have tried Gaynors, but I only wore them briefly before I decided that they were not the best shoe for me.  I prefer to feel the floor under my toes in my traditional pointe shoes.  I am open to the option of Gaynors in the future, especially if I perform frequently as I age and experience changes in my feet.

As always, talk to your dance teacher and seek advice and a professional fitting at a local dancewear store before you make the decision to change pointe shoes. 



Do you like Gaynor Minden pointe shoes?  Leave a comment!

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad that you have found a shoe that is perfect for you. I have been trained to fit Gaynors, and I love how the fit can be customized when all options are available. I agree that many fitters overlook options, and that can contribute to a poor fit.

    I have been wearing Gaynors infrequently for my home practice recently because I need something gentle on my injured foot. Gaynors are not my favorite shoe even thouth they meet my needs well.

    Remember that not every dancer has the same needs, preferences, or approach to her pointe. What may seem logical to you is preposterous to other people. There is absolutely tremendous value to wearing Gaynors, but there is also value in training with traditional shoes. This further illustrates my article's original point that Gaynors are a very unique shoe that work amazingly well for some and not so well for others.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sure. Please use the contact form on the right sidebar. I will be in touch.

      Delete
  2. I'm happy for you that you've found the ideal sneaker. I've been certified to fit Gaynors, and I appreciate how flexible the fit is with so many alternatives. A bad fit might result from a lack of options being considered by a fitter.

    Because of my lately damaged foot, I've been practising at home in Gaynors just on few occasions. In spite of its utility, Gaynors are not my go-to shoe.

    It's important to keep in mind that no two pointe dancers are the same. What you may take for granted is absurd to others. Wearing Gaynors has a lot of advantages, but so does training in regular shoes. This shows that Gaynors are a one-of-a-kind shoe that works well for certain people but not so well for others..
    vaporvm

    ReplyDelete

Please be kind.